Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I understand.

She was a genius.

I just wish she were still here so I could tell her that. She was a genius and I was an idiot not to recognize it from the beginning. So many nights I had spent beating myself up over how to fix this, so many blogs and notes and books I had blown through trying to gather as much information as I could, to find a solution, to make things right.

And she solved it all in less than a week.

It's not an invasion, it's not an attack; it's a game. And it's been set in motion for way longer than we thought it had. Just looking back, it's obvious: The components I found, Luca's sickness, Sophie's nightmares - it was all set up way before we even started this thing. It's been looming over us for a long time, we were just unprepared for it.

It was a stupid, trial-and-error test all along. And I failed.

I tried to be a good leader, I really did. I thought I was keeping us all safe from trouble, not realizing that we were neck-deep in the shit from the start. I set us all back, kept my team from doing their part and that may have cost Ava her life. I ruined everything, and there's nothing I can do about it now.

But it's not done yet. The game is not over. There is something left to be done here. We can still do this, we can still survive, and I'm going to make sure we do no matter the cost. I owe them that much. To Luca, Sophie... and specially to Ava.

I'm not sure what's next. Ava's notes aren't very clear on what happens from here on. I think she knew what was coming, she knew she didn't have a lot of time left. Everything seems rushed and half baked - still, one thing is clear: Whatever was in the box is vital to us and was just about ready to open it. The code is around here somewhere, I know: Lost somewhere between the notebooks, scribbles and computer files.

Ava got us this far, I can't give up now.

2 comments: